Thursday, November 28, 2013

Thankful

I wrote earlier how I'm learning to be thankful despite my circumstances. There were definitely years when I felt more naturally inclined to be grateful than this year, but I still have plenty of reasons to offer thanks today. Plenty.

I have a great husband. Trying years are trying on marriages too, but even in the darkest challenges, one thing was certain: whatever we go through, we go through together. He makes me breakfast and coffee every morning, always does the dishes (really ... always), and sweeps the floor and cleans bathrooms. He encourages me to pursue my passion, go out with my friends (sans child) and is perpetually happy. I'm blessed. Very blessed.

I have the Best Baby Ever. Reagan makes me laugh all the time. Whether it's him saying "oh mo" (instead of "oh no") and pretending to be asleep when I catch him standing in his crib, or hiding from me in the same spot every time, and then giving a great big belly laugh when I find him, he is a constant source of joy. He's sensitive, caring, a fantastic eater, obsessed with Thomas the Tank Engine, and gives the best hugs and sloppy wet kisses. My wildest dreams never included a child so sweet.

I love my sister. She makes me feel so welcome when we crash her house for the week, a couple times each year. She loves me, she loves my family, and she appropriately spoils my son. When we're together, we can have an entire conversation without saying a word. Sisters are awesome.

I have long-lasting friendships. Twila and I are going strong 30 years since our friendship began. We talk as often as we can, and can pick up where we left off, every time. She loves me, prays for me, encourages me, and understands me. Completely.

My best Saturdays occur when I get to talk to Twila and Holly and Wanita, each from PA, all in the same day. Holly and Wanita have been my friends for over 20 years, and have seen me through some of life's darkest valleys, and still love me. Friends like them are rare and precious gifts.

I could list dozens and dozens of names of friends who have blessed me, and to list some would run the risk of leaving out some. Suffice it to say, my love tank always feels full. Always.

I make a living doing what I love. I get to meet extraordinary people, and do extraordinary things, and earn a paycheck in the process. Not many people get to say they love what they do. But I do. I really, really love it.

I sing with some of the most talented musicians in the world. Truly. The Christ Church Choir and Band is made up of the best of the best. I'm humbled every week that I get to participate with a group of such amazing talent.

I have seen the world. I've visited six different countries, from Central America to Europe to Asia. I've been in over half of the states, including every state on the east coast, Texas, California, Montana. The world is beautiful. I've seen it and it's true.

Life is full of small blessings that could almost go unaware if I didn't take time to stop and notice. Hot coffee, chilly nights, good books, laughter, dessert, cooking shows, fuzzy blankets, music and memories. So many things that people long for are part of my daily existence.

Today, I am thankful.

Happy Thanksgiving.

No comments:

Post a Comment