Wednesday, April 1, 2015

A Letter To My Reagan

Dear Reagan,

I can hardly believe that you're THREE years old!! Where has all the time gone? It really feels like just a short while ago that I was bringing you home from the hospital, and now you're THREE.




You are a true joy to your father and I, and to everyone around you. You love Thomas the Tank Engine, Mickey Mouse, Caillou, puzzles (which you are very good at), books, cars, trucks, stickers and anything you can do outside. You are a true boy -- if there's dirt, you will find it! You also love your swing set and your ball and bat.


Much has happened in the last year! We moved into our new house, with a big yard that backs up into the woods -- one of your favorite places to play. We went on a few trips ... two to Mommy's family in PA (where you get spoiled by your Aunt Dawn and Uncle Mike and Hunter), and a trip to Destin in November. And, you got to go to Florida with Mommy just a couple weeks ago. It was a work trip for me, but you got to play with Gran Jan, which you loved.



You also get a weekly play date with Oma, and usually with Poppy too, and you love going to Aunt Tracy's to play, especially when Daniel and Grace are there. Between the various activities we are involved in, you're also at church about three times a week. I love that, every time when we pull up to the church, you clap your hands and say, "Yeah! Church!" That says a lot about how nice your teachers are to you. You also enjoy playing with your friends, including Lauren, Paxton, Jaxen, Claire and Jack.

You moved into a big boy bed this year. I have to admit, I'm pleasantly surprised at how well you've adjusted. I think you were ready for it long before Mommy was. You're also trying to learn to potty ... although, your interest in that isn't very strong at the moment, even with the fun Elmo potty.



You are an incredibly kind and thoughtful little boy. I love, during the day, when you just come up to me and pat my arm and say, "I love you, Mommy." You love to help, whether it's with the laundry or dishes, or dusting, which is your favorite chore, I think.

Daddy and I are learning how to deal with the strong will that is inevitable when you reach this age. Sometimes you know what you want, and nothing else will do, and then you cry and cry (and sometimes throw yourself on the floor for dramatic effect). Often times, after you're done crying, you ask me if I will love you for always. The answer is YES. A thousand million times, yes. Because, no matter how good or not good you are, how well you listen or don't listen, my love for you is constant. It's the one thing that will never, ever, ever, ever, EVER change.

You are such a special little boy. When I asked you what you wanted for your birthday, without hesitation you asked if we could go get your sister. We talk about her often, and I know you're going to take such good care of her.

You are an incredibly articulate speaker, which surprises a lot of people. You're also a very good eater, and eat anything! If we have broccoli, you almost always ask for more. And just the other day, you ate almost half of my spinach and eggs. You also love to bake with me, and I cherish those times. You've become quite adept at cracking eggs all by yourself.



I love you so much, John Reagan Patterson Thompson. You teach me a lot -- about patience and understanding and kindness. You remind me, daily, about what's important in life. My favorite time of the day is before I tuck you in, when you pray. Those prayers touch the heart of God more than any eloquent words I could ever say, I am certain.

I am fumbling along through this parenting journey, and I will make a million mistakes, but know this -- I will always love you with a depth and a magnitude that I will never be able to describe. You are, without a doubt, my favorite little boy.

 


 I love you to the moon and back, times a million. Happy birthday to my sweet, sweet boy.

xo,

Mom

No comments:

Post a Comment